Preoperative instructions for surgery
THREE WEEKS BEFORE SURGERY:THREE WEEKS BEFORE SURGERY:
- If preoperative tests and an EKG (for patients over 40 or if they are prescribed) were requested, they need to be obtained, and the results need to be sent to us by email or fax.
ONE WEEK BEFORE SURGERY :
- Patients on blood thinners (ex: Lovenox, Plavix, Heparin, Coumadin, Xarelto …) need to stop these medications 7 days before surgery. Before stopping these medications, please obtain clearance from your prescribing physician and inform the clinic if this cannot be obatined, as this would result in cacellation of your surgery.
- Please take dispositions for 7-10 days of time off from work or school. Healing is variable, depending on your individual responsse to surgery, but a few days of rest are mandatory.
- Please do not use nicotine products, including cigaretts, pipe tobacco, nicotime gum, or vaping. Nicotine inteferes with wound healing and can affect surgical results. It also causes an increased anesthesia risk. Ideally, stop consuming these products 6 weeks before surgery.
- Stop using alcohol 2 days before surgery.
- Please stop aspirin and anti-inflammatory products (Motrin, Advil, Naprosyn, etc.) as well as garlin, ginger, vitamin E, fish oil, glucosamine, green tea, and gingko biloba one week before surgery, as these products may thin your blood and increase risk of bleeding.
- To help you prevent and quickly heal from bruising, you can take Arnica Montana 12 CH three times a day a week before surgery and continue using it for a week after surgery.
TWO DAYS BEFORE SURGERY : COVID-19 TESTING FOR SURGERY UNDER GENERAL ANESTHESIA
- If you are having surgery under general anesthesia, a COVID-19 test is required and needs to be performed two days before surgery. If this has not been performed, your surgery will be cancelled. We will provide you with a prescription for this.
- If the results are not available and the test has been done two days before (with proof), or if you test positive for COVID, you will not incur rebooking fees.
THE NIGHT BEFORE SURGERY
- Do not eat or drink 8 hours before your scheduled procedure. Failure to comply will result in cancellation of surgery. However you are allowed water or apple juice up until two hours before the procedure.
- Take a shower the night before and the morning of your surgery. Preferably wash your face with an antiseptic soap.
THE DAY OF SURGERY:
- If you take heart of blood pressure medication, please take them with a sip of water the day of surgery. Do not take diuretics. You can use inhalers the day of surgery and bring them with you the day of surgery. If you are diabetic, please call us for specific instructions.
- You can brush your teeth but do not drink water.
- Do not wear contact lenses. Bring your glasses with you.
- Keep your valuables at home and remove all piercings and jewelry before getting to the operating room.
- Do not wear make-up, hair accessories, or nail polish.
- Please have someone available to drive you home after surgery. You absolutely need to be accompanied.
- Please have someone available to stay with you overnight for the first night after surgery.
- Do not use face creams or lotions 24 hours before surgery.
- Wear comfortable clothes that are easy to take off and put on after surgery. Please avoid clothes that need to be passed over your head to be put on.
BOOK YOUR CONSULTATION NOW
In my experience with Dr. Moubayed was truly amazing. He made me feel so comfortable and I knew I could trust him with my rhinoplasty surgery. The results were amazing and I am so happy with my new nose.